It's School Library Month. Did you know? It's a great time to thank your librarian, if your school is lucky enough to still have one.
There are also a number of other special literacy-related dates this month. For example, National Library Week is April 8-14. It’s a time to "celebrate the contributions of our nation's libraries and librarians and to promote library use and support," according to the American Library Association. "All types of libraries -- school, public, academic and special -- participate. This year’s theme: You belong @ your library®."
Other dates this month: National Library Workers Day - April 10; National Bookmobile Day - April 11; Support Teen Literature Day - April 12; and Children’s Day/Book Day - April 30.
Though I'm naturally all about Children's Day/Book Day given my business, I think my favorite literacy-related day this month is National Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.) Day - April 12, 2012. Again from the American Library Association, "It is a special reading celebration to remind and encourage families to make reading together on a daily basis a family priority. The official event date, April 12, is the birthday of author Beverly Cleary."
How fun!
Now, of course, when I find out stuff like this, my mind starts turning to figure out how I can incorporate this into my book business.
I'm thinking hostesses hosting home parties and donating their free books to their schools' libraries.
I'm thinking preschool or scout troop read-a-thons on D.E.A.R. Day with pledges going for books to the kids and books to be donated.
I'm thinking Cards for a Cause fundraisers benefiting local libraries and literacy groups.
Lack of ideas is never my downfall. Follow through on the other hand...
If you'd like to help me celebrate literacy this month, hollar at a sistah. Or perhaps I'll run into you at the library.
No comments:
Post a Comment