We are in the Washington, D.C., metro area visiting family for a couple of weeks. And naturally a lot of the conversation centers around us moving back to the area. And surprisingly I am not 100% for it.
I am about 50-50.
I miss my family, naturally, but I don't miss the traffic. I don't miss being in the middle of politics central. I don't miss everything being so spread out.
I am kinda feeling like after seven years, Oregon is home. While the fall leaves are beautiful in Maryland, the evergreens and grass are not as vibrantly green. The sun is beautiful on this crisp fall day, but the air is not as fresh and clean.
I wonder if I'd be able to stay home with my kiddos, if we moved back here or whether we'd have to be a two-income family to make ends meet. I wonder if we'd be able to afford to live in a good school district or whether we'd have to pay private school tuition.
I wonder if we could find a great neighborhood like the one we have now. I may get tired of being the only Black family in neighborhood , OK maybe there is one other, but I know my neighbors and count many of them among my friends. Here everyone is an island.
So yeah I don't know. My kids would love to be in Maryland and see their cousins every weekend. I, on the other hand, have developed more friendships in Oregon than any time since college. Hmmmm....
I can say that if my parents move back to the East Coast all bets are off and it's hasta la vista rain! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment