Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Real talk

I had a very interesting discussion with a couple of my Mocha Moms(http://portlandmochamoms.yolasite.com/) friends this morning. And it has keep me thinking into the afternoon.

How often do you edit yourself?

I think everyone edits. You might not curse in front of your parents, but have no problem letting the f-bomb fly to a friend. You might have no issues discussing a political issue with one friend but avoid the issue with another friend. It's normal to edit based on the situation, I think.

What gets tricky is when you have to not only edit, but also code switch, as my friend Dawnnesha calls it. When you have to stop and translate before you speak.

Hmmm do non-native English speakers feel this way?

Anyway, in our conversation we were talking about 90s slang really. Not even the new, hot stuff that today's youth would probably have to translate for me even. And we were kinda wondering, too, if maybe it's a regional thing. Maybe my East Coast Caucasian friends wouldn't need a translation for "let's bounce." Or maybe they'd know the difference between "word?", "word."

At least my high school friend Chad knew what GP meant in context.

Makes me wonder, white friends, do you ever say something and your non-white friends just look at you in puzzlement? Maybe you need to code switch, too. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment