Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Switching gears. Can you help?

This week I have been thinking a lot about what a blessing my Usborne business has been in my life.

When I started five or so years ago, I was relatively new to the area, and I wanted to get a mom's night out or two on my calendar and meet some other mommas. And boy have I been able to do that.

Last night I did a show with a fellow Hillsboro momma whom I met at one of the shows I did in my first year in business. Since that meeting years ago, I am happy not only to call her a regular customer but a friend. That's what I started this for, and it feels so good.

It feels nice to be invited into her home, to drink a glass of wine with her, to discuss parenting issues...oh and present some books. And without this business, I might not have met her and that would have been a shame.

At the end of August, I was introduced to another group of mommas whom I may not have meet except through this business. And on Monday I get the privilege of going to lend my support to one of them who's scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. Wow!

Now having said all that, I have made money in my business. But it's never really been my focus. Some people start in a direct sales business with a goal of say paying a certain bill, and I didn't do that. But I also feel like maybe I should have. Because knowing you have a car note to pay may be the motivation you need to pick up the phone and get those four shows a month scheduled.

Soooo while I really enjoy the meeting-new-mommas aspect of my business, for 2012 I am going to switch gears a bit and focus on a financial goal. *Gasp! I know, right?!*

In December 2012 I will be (gulp) 40. And I plan to celebrate in Vegas. My goal is for my Usborne business to pay for this.

How can you help? I know you were just waiting for me to ask! You can host a show for me. Invite a few friends over, so I can meet some more amazing mommas and have my life enriched. Now that's not saying that I don't love it when random orders appear on my web site (www.enjoygoodbooks.com). But sitting down with a few people, getting to know them a bit, and helping them find great books for their kids or nieces and nephews, or grandkids is really what I'm after.

Four shows a month from January to November, and I should be able to pay for the hubster to go to Vegas with me, too.

Can you help?

1 comment: